Remembering to water your garden beds regularly can be a tricky endeavor. Watering in general can be difficult to get right, too!
It’s all too easy to overwater or underwater your plants. You don’t want to kill your plants by giving them too much water. And you definitely don’t want to let them wilt and droop because you’ve neglected to water them in a while. It’s also common knowledge that you can waste a lot of water when you water your plants with a traditional hose or sprinkler system.
A soaker hose is the perfect solution for this problem. You can snake your new soaker hose around your landscaping, flower beds, and vegetable plots to ensure they get just the right amount of water they need for the plants to thrive.
But if you’re new to soaker hoses, it can be a little confusing to know where to start. What factors do you need to consider when it comes to buying the best soaker hose?
I’ve got the solution for you. I’ve researched and reviewed dozens of products to bring you the five best soaker hoses that money can buy. I also measured them against my strict criteria to ensure they will be perfect for your gardening needs.
Take a look at the best soaker hoses that I’ve reviewed in more detail below!
Disclosure: All products on this page are independently selected. If you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
The most highly-rated soaker hoses of 2021
The Rocky Mountain Goods flat soaker hose easily earns the spot of my top pick. This particular soaker hose works to save up to 70 percent of the water used in your garden, allowing for more effective watering.
The design works to deliver water right to where it’s needed: your plant’s root zone. This also helps to reduce water loss through evaporation, a common issue if you live in a hot or arid climate.
What’s really great about the Rocky Mountain Goods flat soaker hose is that it delivers a consistent seep throughout its entire length. You won’t have to worry about only certain areas of your garden bed getting watered. This hose will work to deliver water to the entire area that it covers.
It’s also 100 percent environmentally friendly, which makes it perfect for use with vegetables, herbs, and other edible plants.
This particular soaker hose has been designed to be as heavy duty as possible. It features a double layer design and is made using PVC. This is then covered in extra-strength fabric to ensure the longevity of the soaker hose, which is ideal if you plan on using it regularly—through all seasons—in your garden.
Another great feature of this soaker hose is the fact that it comes with a lifetime warranty. The manufacturer is so confident it will last, they are happy to back up their claim. The flat soaker hose will be covered by their lifetime warranty for the entire time that you own it. Perfect if you’re looking for a little extra peace of mind!
- Heavy duty: Designed to last you for a lifetime no matter how often it’s used.
- Saves water: Conserves up to 70 percent of the water you use and delivers it straight to the roots of your plants.
- Lifetime warranty: Rocky Mountain Goods offers a lifetime warranty with this soaker hose.
- Multiple sizes: You will need to measure the space you need to cover first so you can choose the right sized soaker hose.
- Heavy duty double layer design with PVC liner covered in extra strength fabric
- Conserves 70% water by getting water directly to root and avoiding evaporation
- 100% Environmental friendly weeper hose vinyl for vegetable gardens and plants
- Consistent seep throughout entire length of hose
- Lifetime Warranty - This flat soaker hose is made to last and we guarantee it
The Gilmour flat soaker hose is the perfect addition to your garden if you want to improve your watering system. This hose can be snaked around rows of new seedlings or placed around more mature plants. This makes it a versatile addition for any garden, as you can sufficiently water your plants without risking overwatering. The Gilmour flat soaker hose works to deliver deep, effective watering every time.
It couldn’t be easier to create your very own customized watering system with this particular soaker hose. You can easily hook the hose up to a timer (which Gilmour also sells) so you can set how long it waters for, and at which times in the day. The soaker hose is covered with a clog-resistant fabric, which helps to deliver consistent soaking.
What I especially like about this flat soaker hose from Gilmour is that it’s made using 100 percent environmentally friendly materials (notably a sturdy recycled vinyl). This makes it safe for use with all plants in your garden, so you won’t be restricted as to where you can use it.
Another key feature of this flat soaker hose is its warranty. Gilmour is pretty confident this hose will last you for many years to come. So confident, in fact, that they offer a seven-year warranty to give you a little more peace of mind.
- Versatile: Can be used in all areas of your garden for consistent results.
- Effective watering: Makes use of a clog-resistant fabric cover for consistent soaking.
- Warranty: Comes with a seven-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Long: The 75-foot hose may need to be cut to size to fit your garden.
- Snake through rows of new seedlings or under mature plantings for efficient, deep watering season after season
- Create an easy DIY watering system by burying the hose under mulch. Hook it up to a timer and enjoy healthy, vibrant plants without all the watering work
- Made of 100% environmentally-friendly recycled vinyl
- Clog-resistant fabric cover for consistent soaking
For truly effective watering, the Swan Products Miracle-Gro round soaker hose is a solid choice. This is a slightly different design than the flat soaker hoses above, as the hose will remain naturally round when not in use.
This type of hose should be buried under a layer of soil or mulch to reduce evaporation. This also works to protect your greenery from high water pressure.
The Miracle-Gro soaker hose is highly effective. It works to release between 0.5 to 1 gallon of water per foot. This is delivered straight to the roots of your plants, where it’s needed most.
This particular soaker hose uses up to 70 percent less water than traditional watering methods such as sprinklers. So, you won’t have to worry about wasting any water when you irrigate your plants!
You’ll be able to achieve truly green gardening with this soaker hose in your vegetable and flower beds. The hose itself is made using up to 65 percent recycled materials. It’s also completely lead-free, so it’s a nice non-toxic addition to your garden.
A favorite (and convenient) feature of this particular soaker hose is that it comes with all the necessary fittings you need to install it in your garden. You can create a customized watering system using these hoses in all of their different sizes: 50 feet, 75 feet, and 100 feet.
- Environmentally friendly: Lead-free and made using 65 percent recycled materials.
- Highly effective: Uses up to 70 percent less water than other watering methods and delivers water straight to the roots of your plants.
- Multiple sizes: Choose from 50-foot, 75-foot, and 100-foot lengths to suit your garden.
- Pricey: More expensive than some competitive products.
- Releases a range of .5 to 1 gallon of water per foot while delivering water straight to the roots; Uses 70% less water than standard sprinklers with water restrictor that controls water flow
- System lies directly under soil or much; Delicate foliage and vegetables stay protected from high pressure water
- Meets the lead free standard under the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act; Measures 100' in length and 3/8" diameter: Includes 4 male connectors with caps, 4 female connectors, 4 feeders, 4 plugs, and 2 Tee connectors
- To use hook the hose up to watersource and place hose in straight line, weaving when needed; For optimal result, water source should be at highest point as water will not flow correctly up an incline
- To acheive ideal water flow adjust water pressure until water drips slowly from hose; Fill fully (takes 1 minute per foot to fill) and turn spit off when full, then back on 1/2 to 3/4 turn for duration of use
The Rocky Mountain Goods round soaker hose is highly recommended if you’re looking for a permanent addition to your garden. This soaker hose is constructed using durable materials to improve its lifespan. It’s manufactured using recycled rubber and is built to last many years.
A key feature of this particular soaker hose is that you can add more length to it as needed. There are quick-attach fittings included with the standard package. This makes it even easier to connect your soaker hose to other soaker hoses if you have a large garden that needs more irrigation to cover its entirety.
What I like about the Rocky Mountain Goods round soaker hose is that it works to save up to 70 percent more water than traditional sprinkling systems. This will not only help save on your water bill, but it’s great news for your plants. Most water from sprinkling systems is lost to evaporation. Soaker hoses work to deliver the water right to where it’s needed: the roots of your plants.
Rocky Mountain Goods is so confident that this new round soaker hose will last you for years to come that they offer a seven-year warranty. Hooray for a company that stands behind its products!
- Adaptable: Can be connected to multiple soaker hoses as needed.
- Efficient: Delivers water right to the roots of your plants and can save up to 70 percent of the water that traditional sprinkler systems typically waste.
- Heavy duty: Manufactured using recycled rubber that’s built to last.
- Cost: Price varies by the size you select.
- Heavy duty recycled rubber soaker hose is made to last
- Add length when needed - Quick attach reinforced fittings are included and make for easy connect of additional soaker hoses
- Works great for gardens and flower beds
- Saves up to 70% more water than traditional sprinkling systems
- 7 Year Warranty - We guarantee our soaker hose for 7 years
The Teknor Apex round soaker hose comes highly recommended for your garden. It features a round design, which can be placed around your plants and covered with a light layer of mulch. It works to deliver an even, deep soaking throughout its entire length.
This soaker hose is clearly built to last. It features an advanced vinyl construction that ensures it lasts through several seasons. You won’t have to worry about the hose becoming damaged as time goes on. The manufacturer is so confident in the product that they offer a seven-year warranty. Just the thing to look for in a quality soaker hose!
Another great feature of this soaker hose is that it’s pretty versatile in terms of where you can place it. The material is flexible, making for easier placement. You can place it under a light layer of mulch to keep it in place easier, but it’s also suitable for placement above ground.
Like my other choices on this list, this hose flawlessly delivers consistent soaking for the entirety of its length. It will even work uphill if your water source is at the bottom of a hill! This consistent soaking makes it much more reliable than competitive products, as it’s capable of delivering the much needed moisture your plants need to thrive.
- Consistent results: Delivers a deep, even soak along the whole hose—even uphill.
- 7-year warranty: Gives you more peace of mind that you’re buying a quality product.
- Flexible: Makes for easier placement around your garden.
- One size: Only available as a 25-foot soaker hose.
- 25' black soil soaker hose
- For deep, even soaking
- Advanced vinyl construction
- Consistent soaking
- Flexible, easy placement
Searching for the best soaker hose can be a challenging task. There are so many different types of soaker hoses available on the market, and at such different price points. How can you choose the best soaker hose for your needs if you’re not entirely sure what to look for?
While it may be tempting to buy the first soaker hose that you stumble across, you should hold off on committing to the purchase.
Here’s what you’ll need to keep in mind when it comes to buying the best soaker hose. As long as your chosen product has the below points covered, you can feel confident that you’re buying a quality soaker hose that will last many seasons.
Flat or round
One of the most important factors that you’ll need to consider when choosing the best soaker hose for your needs is whether you want a flat or round soaker hose. This can often come down to a difference in price, too.
Flat soaker hoses remain flat when not in use, but turn tubular once the tap is turned on. These are often more affordable than the stiffer round hoses. However, they sometimes fall victim to restrictions in water flow if there are any kinks in the hose. If you’ve buried your soaker hose under a layer of soil or mulch, locating the problem can be tricky.
Round soaker hoses are highly efficient. These are often very flexible, and arguably more durable than flat soaker hoses. They tend to last for long periods of time. However, they also come at a much steeper price tag. It could be argued that these more than pay for themselves over time.
The most important factor to look for in a soaker hose is a product that delivers even soaking. This means it will seep an even amount of water along its entire length so that all areas of your garden will be covered.
You won’t have any underwatered patches where plants are left thirsty, or other spots that get waterlogged from too much moisture.
You should also check where your water source is. Some soaker hoses struggle to deliver a uniform soaking uphill and are only reliable when your garden is mostly flat or running down a hill.
You should choose a soaker hose that’s constructed using highly durable materials. If the soaker hose says it’s heavy duty, chances are it will last a good long time.
Take a look at the materials used to construct the soaker hose. What type of rubber or vinyl is it manufactured with? Is the fabric covering of the soaker hose clog-resistant? All of these factors will come into play when determining the longevity of your soaker hose.
Your new soaker hose should be flexible enough to weave around your entire garden. You want a hose that can be easily manipulated around your plants without damaging the hose itself. If the hose is susceptible to kinking, this will affect the strength of its water flow.
As long as your soaker hose is flexible enough to cover the areas of your garden that you need to cover, it should be suitable for the job at hand.
A good indicator of a quality soaker hose is one where the manufacturer offers you a warranty. This can vary from a certain time period up to even a warranty for the entire lifetime of the product.
This can show you how confident the manufacturer is that their product will last. Many quality products come with a seven-year warranty to give you extra peace of mind.