The five little things that made my week…
1. This errant fig. Even after all its fig siblings have long been harvested since summer and all the leaves have fallen off the tree, somehow this one fig has managed to grow and continued to ripen in winter!
2. My mandarin tree. This is the first year it’s so prolific, and I am totally loving my morning routine of going outside, picking a mandarin, and sitting in the garden, peeling and eating it while watching my chickens.
3. Not to be outdone, this is my orange tree. If you feel you don’t have the time or resources to plant an edible garden, just plant a fruit tree. You will thank yourself in a couple of years.
4. Seedlings getting hardened off (now that Southern California is past its freeze — imagine that!) and ready to go in the ground this weekend.
5. A winter bee on my African blue basil. So happy to see these little guys still buzzing around.