Trying to lug a massive lawnmower out of storage every few weeks is such an ordeal just to cut your lawn. But grass can get overgrown fast and weeds can easily overtake your landscape if they’re not taken care of, so there seems like no other option.
While a lawnmower is pretty efficient, it doesn’t quite do the job of trimming the borders and edges of your lawn so they look nice and neat.
This results in you having to awkwardly maneuver the lawnmower on its side to reach those areas or making a round with the garden clippers to trim all the edges.
This process is somewhat tedious and takes way longer than it should, but thankfully, it’s not the only solution to cutting your lawn.
Cordless string trimmers and weed eaters (sometimes called weed whackers) are a saving grace when it comes to keeping your lawn and yard in top condition throughout the season.
Below, I’ve compiled my research and experiences to bring you the best cordless trimmer and weed eaters around.
Disclosure: All products on this page are independently selected. If you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
Best cordless trimmers and weed eaters
1. WORX 20V PowerShare 12″ Cordless String Trimmer & Edger
My top pick for the best cordless trimmer is the Worx 20V string trimmer, which also doubles as an edger so you can even reach more difficult areas of your lawn. This is the string trimmer I personally use in my own yard, and I’ve found it to be a good balance of maneuverability and power.
The unit is super lightweight and weighs less than 6 pounds (even with the battery attached), so it’s comfortable enough to carry around without getting sore arms when doing longer or bigger jobs.
It’s designed with a telescopic shaft so you can adjust the height of the unit to suit your own height, and also extend it full length to reach areas farther out in your yard.
The Worx 20V cordless string trimmer comes with an additional battery so you can swap out the one you’re using with a fully charged one. That means you no longer have to sit around and wait for the battery to recharge when you’re on a roll!
As a bonus when purchasing this string trimmer, you’ll get free spools of string from Worx for life so you won’t have to worry about buying any more in the future.
The battery life is nothing to write home about, but with the benefit of having two batteries included, these pretty much add up to one longer-lasting battery.
- Lightweight: Easily carried around for long periods
- Telescopic shaft: Can access hard-to-reach areas easily
- Comes with two batteries: Can alternate to do larger areas of your lawn
- Versatile: Converts to an edger to tidy borders
- Battery life is mediocre: Will only last for 30 minutes when fully charged
- [TRIMMER & EDGER 2-in-1] Easily converts from a string trimmer to a wheel edger in just seconds
- [INSTANT LINE FEED] Innovative push button Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding. Plus, Free Spools for Life
- [DO IT ALL WITH THE SAME BATTERY] Worx Power Share is compatible with all Worx 20v and 40v tools, outdoor power and lifestyle products
- [BATTERIES INCLUDED] 2 powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries come with this tool and can be used on any other tool in the WORX PowerShare family
- [HEAD TILTS 90°] So you can trim and edge on sloped terrain, and get to tough-to-reach places
2. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX String Trimmer
This 2-in-1 trimmer and edger by Black + Decker has a 12-inch swath that can cut a large surface area in less time, saving you on battery power and also time spent on tidying your yard.
It has an adjustable height and handle to suit each user for ideal comfort, so you won’t experience discomfort or pain when handling this unit.
The easy string feed allows the user to advance the line with just a push of a button with no bumping needed.
The trimmer easily converts into an edger without compromising on safety, so you can feel assured that no accidents will occur.
The single line included is a bit flimsy and may struggle to cut thicker grass and weeds, so you’ll need to spend more time going over each area. (Or, simply replace the string with a stronger version.)
- 2-in-1: Can be used as both an edger and a trimmer
- Power Drive Transmission: Powerful cutting ability
- Adjustable height and handle: Ideal comfort for user
- Single line is flimsy: Struggles with thicker grass and weeds
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Line diameter 0.065 inch
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18
- Easy feed allows you to advance your line with the push of a button with no bumping required
- Part of the 20 Volt MAX System; 1 system endless tasks. Power for your style
3. Greenworks 24V 12-Inch String Trimmer (Budget-Friendly Option)
If you’re trying to stick to a budget but you’re still after a quality cordless trimmer, then this Greenworks 24V should definitely exceed your expectations.
The Greenworks string trimmer has a run time of around 30 minutes on full power, which should be more than sufficient if you’ve got an average-sized yard. Those with large yards may need to purchase an additional battery to be able to run the unit continuously without having to wait for it to charge.
The pivoting head of the trimmer is consistent and has quality trimming and edging capabilities to get the right finish to your lawn.
The trimmer also has an onboard battery life indicator. You’ll be made aware when the battery is starting to run low so you can recharge it or replace it with a fully-charged battery.
On the downside, the auto-feed on the Greenworks trimmer is not very consistent. It sometimes gets jammed and needs to be manually altered by the user, which can be confusing the first time you do it.
- Telescopic shaft: Easy to extend to reach more difficult areas
- Rotating head: Straight and consistent trimming each time
- Onboard battery life indicator: Tells you when battery is running low so you can replace
- Auto-feed feature is not consistent: Needs to be altered sometimes
- 24V STRING TRIMMER – Provides 20% more power and 35% more run-time to power through the toughest grass and weeds. Greenworks 24V battery powers 100+ indoor and outdoor products.Includes : (1) 24V 12" Cordless String Trimmer & Edger, (1) 24V 2.0 Ah Battery, (1) Battery Charger, (1) 0.065" Spool Assembly, (1) Owner's Manual
- 12” CUTTING PATH - .065” line, auto feed head for quick and easy line advancement
- TRIMMER / EDGER (2-IN-1) – 90-degree rotating head with edging wheel. 3 position pivoting head for trimming at multiple angles, telescope shaft adjusts to user's height and posture
- VARIABLE SPEED TRIGGER – Allows you to control cutting speed on the go, so you can easily maneuver around plants and shrubs
- LIGHTWEIGHT / EASY TO USE – Ultra lightweight design, along with superior ergonomics allow for reduced user fatigue. Included 2.0Ah battery recharges in 60 minutes
4. Dewalt Flexvolt 60V MAX String Trimmer
The Dewalt Flexvolt Trimmer is an ideal option if you’ve got tough undergrowth and stubborn weeds in your yard, thanks to the large 15-inch cutting swath that can be used as a trimmer and an edger to create clean-cut lines.
It comes with a high-efficiency motor with a variable speed trigger so you can choose to extend your run time while saving on power, or choose the most powerful option to trim more difficult areas.
The ergonomic design of the trimmer minimizes arm stress for the user and provides maximum control of the unit so you can get the job done accurately with no patchy areas.
One of the most disappointing parts about this Dewalt trimmer is the line feed; it’s inconsistent and gets tangled up sometimes.
- Long-lasting battery: Can go longer between charging
- Ergonomic design: Minimizes arm stress
- Smooth and versatile operation: Variable speed triggers
- The feed line is inconsistent: Gets jammed and has to be untangled sometimes
- Gear drive design of the edger/trimmer powers through tough overgrowth
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the cordless grass trimmer maximizes run time and motor life
- Lawn trimmer provides 15-inch cutting swath with 0.080-inch line (also accepts 0.095 inch)
- Variable speed trigger with Hi/Lo speed control for added power or extended run time
- Lightweight and ergonomic design maximizes control and minimizes stress on your arms
5. CRAFTSMAN V20 String Trimmer / Edger
The V20 trimmer by Craftsman is suitable for both tall and short users and can be adjusted to suit whatever height the user is to ensure maximum comfort.
It comes with high- and low-speed settings so you have more control of how much you’re cutting away, while also being able to save on battery to keep cutting for longer periods.
You’ll get great use out of the 13-inch cutting swath that cuts your lawn efficiently, so you can spend less time doing your lawn and more time enjoying it.
Unfortunately, the battery life on this Craftsman V20 trimmer/edger is pretty weak and doesn’t last a very long time, making it only practical for those with fairly small yards.
- 2-speed settings: You can choose power or longer run time
- 13-inch cutting swath: Cuts more in less time
- Adjustable length: Good for short and tall people
- The battery is weak: Does not last very long
- EXTENDED RUN TIME: 2 Speed Settings lets you choose more power or more runtime
- TURN TO EDGE: For both edging and trimming
- ADJUSTABLE: Ergonomic adjustable length pole to fit your height
- PUSH BUTTON FEED: Allows you to control the 0.080 inch twisted line feed with the push of a button
- EFFICIENCY: 13 inch cutting swath allows for added efficiency
Best cordless trimmers and weed eaters: buyer’s guide
Before buying a cordless trimmer and weed eater, there are a few things you should consider to know whether one would be suited to your needs.
My buyer’s guide below will give you the key factors you need to think about when buying and how each factor will impact how you use your new string trimmer.
The weight of the cordless trimmer will be one of the most important factors you need to consider when buying a new one.
You’ll be holding your cordless trimmer just above the ground with your arms and even though you may be able to carry a certain weight, you’ll need to be certain you can carry that weight for long periods (especially if you’ve got a large yard that needs trimming).
Cordless battery-powered trimmers and weed eaters are typically quite lightweight, but if you’re someone who doesn’t have much upper body strength, you’ll want to find a model that is lightweight enough for you to maneuver for the entire task.
Battery and power
Most cordless trimmers come with modern lithium-ion rechargeable batteries, as they’re lightweight and users won’t experience a drop-off in performance when the battery begins to run down during normal use.
A 20V battery is sufficient to do the average trimming job on a small- to medium-sized yard, or around 20 to 30 minutes of trimming on the highest setting.
If you’ve got a large yard or go long periods between trimming your grass, then you’ll need a more powerful battery to enable you to do most, if not all, of the job on one charge.
An 80V battery is recommended for people who have a fairly large yard as this should run for around 45 minutes at maximum power.
An additional battery is recommended for cordless trimmers, especially for people with large lawns and densely-planted landscapes.
You should keep both batteries fully charged before a large job so you can swap one out when it dies to finish the job.
The cutting swath is the area a trimmer can cut at one time, so the larger the cutting swath, the quicker you’ll be able to cut your yard.
If you’ve got tight or intricate areas of grass in your garden, then you may want a trimmer with a smaller cutting swath.
If your yard has various shaped edges and corners, then I’d recommend getting a trimmer with adjustable cutting heads as you can change them out to tailor the cut to each area of your garden.
The line diameter measures the thickness of the trimmer line. If you’re just going to be trimming your lawn, then you’ll only need a size of around 0.065 inch to 0.085 inch.
If you’ve got long, thicker grass with tough weeds, then you’ll want to use something within the 0.085 inch to 0.110 inch range to make sure the job gets done properly.
Here’s a guide to the best weed eater string for your cordless trimmer and weed eater.