Attempting to water your garden with a hose that tangles, kinks, and struggles to reach your plants at a distance will make what should be a quick task into one that’s much more problematic and time-consuming.
Besides the struggles you may encounter when trying to direct the water to plants at the back of your garden or far away from your hose, it’s also likely that you’ll struggle to navigate a standard hose around any obstacles.
As someone who loves to garden, I get how rewarding it can be to water your plants and see them flourish. I also know how much of a difference a good hose makes.
Hoses of this kind boast an innovative design with a flexible core and a tough coating. As the water flows through the hose, the internal tube will expand up to almost 3 times its original size.
Essentially, a flexible hose works in the same way as a conventional hose except they are more effective in resisting kinks and tangling, and they’re easy to coil and store too.
With so many flexible hoses available on the market, finding the best option can seem like a challenge but I’ve reviewed some of my favorite picks for you below.
I’ve also provided a useful buyer’s guide with all of my top tips and features that you should look for in a high-quality flexible garden hose.
Disclosure: All products on this page are independently selected. If you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
Best flexible garden hose reviews
Offering excellent flexibility, the Flexzilla Garden Hose with SwivelGrip can be easily wound around any obstacles you may encounter in your garden, like trees, bushes, and plants.
The swivel grip can be connected to a hose or sprinkler and it’s there to release tension so you can uncoil the hose without kinking.
This hose is made from a lightweight hybrid polymer material with reinforced mid layering for enhanced strength. The outer coating is also resistant to abrasion, UV, and mold so you don’t need to worry about exposure to the elements that might cause the hose to deteriorate faster.
Since this hose is tangle-free, it’ll be much easier for you to work with. I’ve been using Flexzilla hoses for almost 10 years and can’t recommend them enough.
Plus, I’m sure you’ll agree that attempting to lug a heavy hose around the garden is not in the least bit fun. But thanks to the lightweight feel of this hose, it’s easy for anyone to lift and carry. The superior O-ring also guarantees long-term, leak-free connections.
- Drinking water safe: The inner tube material is drinking water safe.
- Comfort: The surface is easy to grip onto and this makes it easier to turn and tighten the fixture when necessary.
- Sizes: There are 7 different sized hoses available so you can choose the length that’s best suited to your garden.
- Color: The standard color for Flexzilla hoses is a shocking neon yellowish-green, which doesn’t exactly blend in to your landscape. But this more neutral clay color is an option if you can snag it before it goes out of stock.
- MALE & FEMALE SWIVELGRIP CONNECTIONS - Hose and grip rotate independently, makes connections and uncoiling easy, and naturally releases coils (SwivelGrip Patent Pending)
- EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE - All weather flexibility
- EXTREMELY DURABLE - Abrasion resistant outer cover and crush resistant anodized aircraft aluminum fittings
- HYBRID POLYMER - Won't kink under pressure, coils easily and lays flat with zero memory
- LIGHTWEIGHT - Lighter than traditional garden hoses making Flexzilla easier to carry and maneuver around the yard
Are you looking for a great value flexible hose? If so, the Gilmour Aqua Armour Hose is a worthy contender.
I love that this hose is 50 percent lighter than the majority of standard hoses which makes it much easier to use. It’s also super durable and claims to last up to 10 times longer than other expandable hoses.
Even when confronted with cold temperatures, it will resist damage, and it’s also abrasion-resistant and UV-protected.
The hose becomes round during use as this allows for maximum flow. It’s also made from a material that encourages the water to push its way through any kinks that may have developed so your water supply isn’t cut off unexpectedly.
Since it’s designed with a smooth covering, the hose easily glides along the ground and can even cope with being pulled along rough surfaces without snagging.
The impressive versatility of this hose means it can be connected to nozzles and sprinklers, but it’s also suitable for pressure washers and to use as a marine or RV hose (especially if weight and storage space are a concern).
- Warranty: Backed by Gilmour’s trusty lifetime warranty, this hose is covered against any defects or problems you may encounter.
- Made in the USA: It’s rare to find products made in the USA these days, so this is definitely a step above similar competitors.
- Ergonomics: The metal crushproof couples are easy to put on and take off the spigot.
- Durability: The light weight might make this hose more susceptible to the elements if you’re in a harsh climate, but this should be expected for the price point.
- The Gilmour AquaArmor Lightweight Hose is 50% lighter than standard hoses and lasts up to 10x longer than expandable hose
- AquaArmor unkinks itself, and the metal couplings are crush-proof and ergonomically designed for easy on/off at the spigot
- Hose becomes round for maximum flow during use and coils flat for easy storage
- Dual-layer of encased fiber reinforcement offers superior durability
If you’re happy to spend a little more, I recommend the Flexi Hose Expandable Garden Hose. I like how this hose automatically expands 3 times larger than its original length when in use!
When the water is turned off, it’ll return to its original length. It’s a whopping 100 feet long, so you definitely aren’t restricted on how far it can stretch to reach different areas of your garden.
Made to a high standard, this hose has a 3750D outer fabric coating and 4 layers of latex which protect the inner tube.
Because of this, you don’t have to worry about it getting damaged by thorns, sharp corners, or any other hazards. The connectors are also made from solid brass with an internal rubber seal, which prevents any leaks.
The included rotating spray nozzle has 8 different modes so you can opt for the one that you feel provides the best projection of water for the area you’re going to be using it on. These modes are easily interchangeable and can simply be altered via the settings on the nozzle head.
- Rubber handle: Possesses ergonomic qualities which make it comfortable to handle and is slip-resistant too.
- Endurance tested: Impressively, this hose has been tested and is expected to deliver over 1,500 uses.
- Weight: At only 4.69 pounds, this is a lightweight hose that’s easy to maneuver to different areas of your garden.
- Cost: Since this hose retails within a higher price range, it isn’t ideal for those on a budget.
- The Flexi Hose expandable garden hose automatically expands to the stated product length - roughly 3 times extension - with standard pressure when water is turned on and shortens to compact length when the water is turned off. Storing the Flexi Hose is a breeze!
- Strong fittings for reliability! Solid 3/4 inch brass connectors ensure the expanding garden water pipe fits the typical outdoor garden taps in the US.
- Expandable, lightweight construction without sacrificing quality! The 3750D elastic outer fabric with 4 layers of latex protects the inner tube effectively from thorns, punctures, and sharp corners.
- Lightweight, yet durable for heavy duty use! Every Flexi Hose is endurance-tested to 2000 uses and can withstand water pressures up to 12 bar and temperatures between 41 and 113 degrees fahrenheit.
- The included 8-pattern rotating hose spray nozzle is constructed out of durable ABS plastic and features an ergonomic, slip-resistant rubberized handle for comfort.
TheFitLife Flexible and Expandable Garden Hose comes in 4 different sizes; 25 feet, 50 feet, 75 feet, and 100 feet.
Thanks to the impressive assortment of sizes, you can choose the hose that best suits all the different areas of your garden.
Similar to my previous pick, it extends past its original length 3 times when it’s in use. When the water has emptied from the hose, it’ll retract down to its smaller size.
Using the brass valve found on the end of the hose, you can control the flow of water to accommodate what you’re watering.
The nozzle also supports a variety of spray patterns for different applications. You can easily alternate between each of these settings via the controls on the handle.
As for durability, the hose is protected by three layers of latex which will prevent it from bursting. A rubber washer also lines the brass fittings to stop any leaks.
Because this is an expandable hose, it can easily be stored between uses in the smallest of spaces. Simply fold it down to a compact size and it’ll resist kinking on its next use.
- Thumb control valve: Makes it easier to control the flow of water and also helps to reduce wrist fatigue.
- Durability: The coating is made from tough fabric that’s resistant to damage caused by dragging along the ground.
- Lightweight: The airy feel of this hose makes it much easier to handle.
- Weather resistance: You’ll need to coil and store this hose between uses, otherwise it may not fare well when exposed to higher temperatures.
- 3 Times extension in length, easy to operate and store: Only 1.8 LBS, it’s incredibly lightweight, flexible, collapsible and functional. It starts out 9 feet and expands to 25 feet under 0.5Mpa water pressure, but returns in seconds to 9 feet after water is out. After each use, just simply rewind it into a basket or hose hanger. Never kinks, twists or tangles.
- A retractable hose suitable for multiple purposes: Expanding quickly, while a brass valve at the end allows better control of the flow of water, flexible length and proper water flow to support multiple purposes, such as gardening, watering, car/boat washing, pet bathing or pool cleaning, returns to original length in seconds when the water is out.
- Premium quality makes useful life much longer: Triple layer latex inner wrapped by interwoven elasticated fabric, with 3/4 inch US standard fittings, these hoses are endurance tested up to 2000 uses under the water pressure of 145 PSI/10 Bar. No more bursts, cracks, leaks or corrosion.
- Unique 8 patterns spray nozzle: TheFitLife spray nozzle supports to fulfill different watering purposes, ease of use and durable, with fingers free function supports lots of needs including gardening, watering, pet and car cleaning.
- Connectable for longer size, it helps to reach any corner: Available in 25 feet, 50 feet, 75 feet, 100 feet, they are connectable for getting a longer size, like 125 feet, 150 feet or 200 feet.
For my last pick, I’ve chosen the Double Couple Flexible Garden Hose. It’s lightweight so you aren’t going to face any challenges when attempting to maneuver it to different areas of your garden.
It will also expand to an impressive length and refrain from kinking so water can travel through undisrupted.
The hose and attachments are all made from high-quality materials.
The pipe itself is constructed from 4 layers of latex and covered in 3750D polyester fabric, while the connectors are made of brass and the nozzle is made of zinc alloy.
With these quality materials, you can be confident that it won’t burst or leak.
I especially like how this sprayer features 10 adjustable settings, each of which can be adjusted via the controls on the handle.
You can also use these controls to alter the intensity of the water flow so it isn’t too overpowering for what you’re watering.
- Cost: This hose retails within an affordable price range and offers a great budget option.
- Colors: You can choose from two different colors available.
- Sizes: It comes in multiple sizes so you can pick a size that works for your space.
- The length: Some customers reported that this hose often struggles to reach its maximum length.
- High-Quality Materials:No more leaks, tear or cracks; Solid 3/4 Inches brass connectors, rubber washer, 4-layer latex pipe, sturdy on/off valve, zinc alloy spray nozzle, extra-flexible 3750D polyester fabric cover; Stretchable designed strong expandable garden hose will withstand burst and leaks.
- Lightweight and Flexible Design:This garden hose flexible expands from 36 feet, to 100 feet in length. When the water is turned on the hose quickly expands up to 3 times in length (100 Feet) with the water pressure(60-180 PSI) and returns in minutes to its original length when the water is out. Just make sure there is enough water pressure to expand the hose.
- 10 Functinal safety nozzle:Compared to most 8 pattern hose nozzle, our water nozzle with 10 pattern for more choices. The rubberized outer coating is non-slip and comfortable. Rotating bezel for easy choosing kind of nozzle. Buckle stent for uninterrupted use. Ergonomic handgrip for effortless operation. You can feel the quality the instant you pick up the flexible and expandable garden hose.
- Heavy Duty Brass Fittings:Our water hose use quality 3/4-inch brass connectors and solid brass end with rubber washer. It can effectively prevent cracking,corrosion and leaking. And at the end of the expandable garden hose it has a valve where you can turn the water on or off, instead of walking back to turn off the hose.
- Super Easy To Use and Store:Retractable, lightweight, highly portable, flexible hose, simple way to save your storage space. Just drain water from the hose when not in use, store out of direct sun.
When it comes to finding the best flexible garden hose, there are a few things that I’d suggest you look out for so you can be sure that you purchase the right hose for your garden.
Most hoses are available in a selection of lengths. When deciding which is best for your needs, you’ll need to assess the size of the area that you need to cover.
If you have a large garden, you’ll need a longer hose or multiple shorter hoses to attach to different faucets. Likewise, if you have a smaller garden, one short- to medium-length hose will be sufficient.
Keep in mind that with longer hoses comes a slight loss of pressure because the water has to travel further. These hoses will double in size when filled with water and then retract to their original size once the water has emptied.
It is really important to acknowledge the quality of the parts because they can influence how long the hose is going to last.
A hose that is poorly made is going to be prone to tearing and possibly bursting, especially when it’s pulled along rougher surfaces.
One that’s made from stronger and tougher materials is going to last longer as it’ll be better at resisting abrasion and damage.
The majority of hoses are made with multiple layers of latex and a material coating that will provide maximum protection. You’ll need to ensure that the metal components are going to resist rust as well, and not be susceptible to leaking.
The tubes of a flexible garden hose tend to be made from latex rather than rubber. This material is recognized for its flexibility and stretch, making it more effective in expanding without breaking. It can also handle the pressure of the water as it travels through.
Your hose should be easy to handle, since the last thing you want to be doing is hauling a heavy, cumbersome thing around. Thankfully, there are many lightweight hoses available, some of which I’ve reviewed above.
Their weight makes them easy to maneuver around your garden so you can access different areas with ease, even those that would otherwise be hard to get to.
Tangle and kink resistance
Dealing with a hose that has a tendency to tangle and kink when you’re attempting to water your garden can be a pain.
Luckily, the majority of flexible hoses incorporate this feature so you don’t have to worry about these issues.
A hose that’s resistant to tangling and kinking is going to see you through many more uses because it will preserve the structure and quality of the internal tubing.
Ease of storage
The flexibility of these hoses means they’re much easier to store in between uses. Because the material isn’t as rigid, the hose can pack down to a much more compact size which is great for people who lack adequate storage space.
It’s worth noting, however, that most hoses should be stored in a shaded area to protect them from the elements and extend their useful life.
Many hoses are backed by a warranty. This means you’re covered against any defects with any parts or if you’re simply unsatisfied with the functionality of the hose.
The length of this policy can differ between brands, so it’s important to check this out beforehand. Some brands won’t offer a warranty at all so you have to determine whether this is going to influence the hose that you go for.
I’d recommend setting yourself a budget before browsing through the selection of hoses that the market has to offer because some can be considerably more expensive than others.
While I’m sure we all like to get a great deal with our purchase, it’s important to ensure this doesn’t compromise on the quality of the hose and its parts. Those that retail at a lower price may be made with weaker components.
Also, make sure your hose has all the features you need. Don’t be deterred by cheaper offerings because some of them are still worthy of purchase.