Whether you’ve already got an experienced green thumb or you’re at the beginning of your gardening journey, grow bags can be a great way to start planting your own fruit and vegetables.
They’re a popular choice among many gardeners due to their affordability and the ease and convenience of planting straight into the bag itself. I’ve found that they can also be a good alternative to plastic or ceramic pots for plants that need to overwinter indoors (as you can move them more easily) or trees you want to transplant in the garden (since you can put the tree—bag and all—right into the soil).
But grow bags are only worth using if you use the right ones that won’t fall apart right away, so I’ve created a list of some of the best tried-and-tested grow bags currently on the market.
I’ve also put together a helpful buyer’s guide that walks you through the pros and cons of different factors to consider when buying grow bags for your garden.
Disclosure: All products on this page are independently selected. If you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
Best grow bag reviews
Top Pick: Root Pouch Grow Bag
If you’re looking for something with a bit more of a luxurious feel for your flowers, fruits, and vegetables, you may be happy to fork out for the best quality by choosing the “Best Root Pouch” grow bag, which is a more expensive option compared to others on this list.
The non-degradable fabric material promotes a much healthier air-pruned root system that’s far superior to plastic plant pots that result in twisted, spiraling roots. By increasing the amount of airflow to the roots, the roots branch out as soon as they hit the edge of the bag, forming a larger, denser mass of roots that supports bigger and more productive plants.
Another bonus of this grow bag is that it’s a more sustainable option, manufactured using reclaimed plastic bottles to save them from ending up in landfills.
You can wash and reuse this grow bag multiple times for repeat growing seasons, so you do get your money’s worth in terms of quality despite the greater upfront cost. However, it’s definitely one you’ll want to try first before buying five of them for your next couple of crops.
My personal take? I love Root Pouch and use their grow bags for all of my container plants, indoors and outdoors. They’re great for overwintering plants, new cuttings and transplants, and even full-grown tomato plants. Check them out in action here, where I grew massive tomatoes in 25-gallon Root Pouch pots on my deck.
- Suitable for all seasons: The breathable fabric helps insulate your plants to protect them against freezing in the winter and overheating in the summer
- Versatile use: You can use this grow bag with drip systems, overhead sprinklers, or hydroponic flood trays, depending on your garden setup
- Sturdy: The handles are strong and well-constructed with durable stitching to ensure they can hold the weight of the bag, even when filled with soil and plants
- Portable: Made using durable yet lightweight material
- Expensive option: It might seem like a lot of money for a single grow bag, but you’ll receive an extremely high-quality product that will last several years
- Air Pruning Of Roots Boosts plant growth and yields
- Fabric allows roots to breath, Prevents roots from circling
- Pots are washable and last for multiple seasons
- Keeps plants warmer in winter & cooler in summer, Pots allow plants to be placed outside quicker
- Can be used with drip systems, overheads & hydroponic flood trays,Rain Gutter Grow Systems
Second is on this list is a five-pack of heavy-duty grow bags from VIVOSUN, which is rated as Amazon’s number-one bestselling product under the “Plant grow bags” category. (I won’t argue that, as I’ve used and like this brand as well.)
Their 5-gallon capacity allows you to grow a range of fruits and vegetables. They feature a superior drainage system thanks to the nonwoven fabric, which prevents excess water from pooling at the bottom to give the roots of your plants enough space to breathe and grow.
If you’re environmentally conscious, you’ll be pleased to know that the material used to construct these grow bags is eco-friendly and BPA-free, as well as highly durable with a life expectancy that’s expected to surpass a couple of years with general reuse.
The reinforced handles are capable of withstanding wear and tear thanks to strengthening serge stitching that ensures the handles can hold the weight of a heavy filled bag.
This is especially useful when you’ve already added soil and plants before realizing you need to move the bag. You won’t have to worry about the handles blowing out on you during transport!
- Portable: The heavy-duty handles and durable construction means these grow bags can be transported easily without sustaining damage along the way
- Sturdy: The bags are made with 300g thickened nonwoven fabric and reinforced stitching
- Reusable: The durability of these grow bags ensures repeated use for years to come, and they’re also backed by a one-year warranty from the manufacturer
- Value for money: You get seriously high-quality grow bags at an affordable price
- Mold: Customers report that if they’re not placed in a location where they can properly drain, mold can develop at the base of the grow bags
- Sturdy Fabric Material: Made of 300g of thickened nonwoven fabric, these pots are moderately permeable, and BPA-free
- Great Drainage: Nonwoven fabric means the pots do not retain excess water, allowing your roots to breathe for healthier, more vigorous growth
- Durable, Reinforced Handles: While the competition uses flimsy handles that are merely strips of the same fabric the pot is made from, we use serger stitches to sew handles onto the pot so they can support a full bag of soil
- Portable Bags: Heavy-duty handles and rugged material mean you can move bags full of soil and plants with ease
- Use It for Years: Grow bags prevent circling root structure; Combined with pruning and trimming roots, these bags can be used and reused for years
Next up, I’ve included this option from Gardzen which includes a set of 10 grow bags for an extremely reasonable price. As you’ll see from the customer reviews, most people weren’t expecting such good quality considering the price so they were pleasantly surprised!
The material of these grow bags has a “fluffier” feel than some of the other grow bags I’ve mentioned on this list, and it’s free from both BPA and AZO.
The breathable woven design is highly beneficial for root development, though like all other grow bags, you’ll need to water them more during heat spells. The fabric promotes increased growth rates with larger yields, improved drainage for better root health, and superior aeration and air circulation.
It’s easy to plant your fruits and vegetables directly into the grow bag and it’s just as easy to move your plants to a different location should you want to chase the sun around your yard. Thanks to the high-quality, sturdy handles, you’ll be able to securely and safely lift the bag.
- Safe handling: The extremely durable handles ensure you can safely move your plants between locations without damaging the grow bags
- Storage: Along with being lightweight and highly portable, the material is foldable which makes the grow bags even easier to store when they’re not in use
- Perfect for patios: They’re great for moving around from place to place, and the excellent drainage system means you won’t have to worry about mold growing at the base of the bag
- Value for money: With 10 of these grow bags included in a pack and the consistent quality that other customers love, it’s clear you’ll get your money’s worth
- Color: The black, furry material easily absorbs heat from the sun, which means you’ll have to water more often in summer and make sure the plant roots don’t overheat
- 【Premium Quality Material】Made of high quality and durable non-woven fabric, which is fluffy and has a good hand feeling. The material is BPA-free and AZO-free. These grow bags are washable for reuse.
- 【Let Your Plants Grow Healthier】These grow bags provide excellent aeration and good air permeability, can offer enough space for roots to breath and effectively avoid root swirling, promote a healthy root ball.
- 【Excellent Drainage】The woven design provide good drainage and allow your roots to breath which results in both faster growth and greater plant vigor. P.S. In the hot summer sun, the plants need watering every day.
- 【Easy to Transport】No worries moving them around. These plant pots' handles are double thick and double stitched to the bag. Durable grow bags with sturdy handle straps allows easily and safely moving.
- 【Pot Dimension】5 Gallon Planter Bags - 12.8" Diameter, 10" Height. Approx. 5.5 gallon. We promise size is as advertised.
One of the most affordable options I’ve discovered that doesn’t end up veering on the side of being cheap in quality are these Garden4Ever grow bags, available in a pack of five bags.
The round, floor-standing grow bags are manufactured using a grow-friendly felt that encourages better plant health and faster development. You can wash and reuse these bags multiple times, with each harvest yielding successful results thanks to improved water drainage.
The straps aren’t necessarily the widest, which means they can cut into your hands a bit as you carry them. While this can make moving the bags slightly trickier, they’re still pretty sturdy.
You’ll notice the contrasting light green stitching that lines the top of the grow bag, which reinforces its structure and helps prop it upright so it can stand on its own without additional support.
- Breathable: Air-prunes the plant’s roots, which allows for better growth, improved drainage, and less risk of mold build-up or disease
- Perfect for plants: The growth-promoting material and design helps boost plant growth and improves your yield for the season
- Temperature stability: Whether placed in direct sunlight or in a shaded area in your yard, the grow bags are able to maintain a stable temperature to protect your plants
- Drainage: You won’t have to worry as much about overwatering your plants, thanks to the excellent drainage and air circulation that helps prevent root rot
- Lifespan: Although they can be reused, these grow bags may not last as long as some of the more expensive options
- Made of growth friendly felt with sturdy handles straps, washable and reusable.
- Prevents circling roots and air-prunes the plant's root structure.
- Great air circulation and water drainage - Prevents circling roots build-up, air prunes the plant’s root and allows excess water to drain structure.
- Perfect for growing vegetables and fruits, boosts plant growth and yields.
- 5 Gallon capacity: 12" Diameter 10.5" Height
This option from JERIA comes as a whopping 12-pack of grow bags that are suitable for most of your fruit, flower, or vegetable growing.
Manufactured with nonwoven fabric that provides ultimate breathability for plants, you’ll reap larger, healthier yields more often using these grow bags. One of the things I love most is that they also help reduce the risk of transplant shock.
The design of these grow bags promotes an excellent water drainage system that helps keep the roots of your plants healthy and reduces any chance of accidental overwatering.
You can easily move the bags around as much as you want using the built-in, sturdy handles. Like most other grow bags, these ones are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use to suit various growing needs.
- Labels included: In addition to 12 grow bags, you’ll receive 12 labels to help ID your plants and keep all of them straight
- Sustainable: Wash and reuse your grow bags season after season and reduce the amount of plastic used in your garden
- Versatile: These bags are suitable for both indoor and outdoor use and you can easily move them from place to place, thanks to their durable carry handles
- Promotes healthy plants: The material and design of these grow bags ensures healthier plants by promoting better air circulation for the roots
- Mold: Customers report that if they’re not placed in a location where they can properly drain, mold can develop at the base of the grow bag
- MATERIALS: Non-woven fabric. Fabric allows roots to breathe and grow healthier, boosts plant growth and yields. Decreased risk of transplant shock, creates improved overall root structure,and BPA-free.
- DESIGN: It Provides Water drainage through the soil to eliminate over watering. Keeps plant warmer in winter and cooler in the summer.
- MOVE AND STORAGE: The plants planted in the bag can be transported anywhere and anytime, Built-in study handles for easy movement, indoor or outdoor use and easy to fold for storage.
- ADVENTAGE: Grow more in less space-multiple varieties in one grow bags. Create a quick and easy garden.
- PAKAGE: 12 pack 7 gallons grow bags with 12 pcs plant labels. 7 gallons pot dimension: 13" Diameter 12" Height.
When you’re looking at a bunch of different grow bags (which, let’s face it, kind of all look the same), it can be a little tough to know what you should be looking for in terms of choosing the right one.
To help narrow your choices down between the five excellent options above, here are some key points to consider when making your decision.
Pots vs. grow bags
Before we go any further, I thought it might be a good idea to point out some of the key differences between using plastic pots and grow bags for growing your vegetables, so you can feel confident that fabric containers are the best way to go.
Here are some of the ways in which grow bags are more beneficial than plastic pots:
- They offer improved air flow and better drainage for the roots.
- They have superior temperature and humidity control.
- You can reap a bigger yield without changing anything else in your growing system.
- They are highly portable and easily moved between locations.
- They’re more affordable than most plastic pots when you take longevity into account.
- Rootbound plants will be a thing of the past when using grow bags.
Quality of material
The material of your grow bag should be a key factor in your decision, as this determines how long it might last.
Nonwoven fabrics tend to be more durable and resistant to wear and tear, due to the additional strength provided by the sidewalls of the grow bags.
You should also take a look at the stitching, as you’ll want to opt for grow bags that have reinforced stitching to reduce the risk of the bags splitting as you move them around. This is especially important for the handles, which could otherwise rip or detach when you lift a heavy bag.
The breathability of your grow bag’s material is something else you should consider, as it’s what makes grow bags stand out from the traditional plastic pots and ceramic pots.
Ideally, you should try to find the sweet spot between breathability and having enough support in the sidewalls to stand up on its own, even against wind.
Getting the size right
If you choose the wrong size grow bag for the type of vegetables you’re interested in growing, you could run into problems with under-performing plants, top-heavy plants, or grow bags that can’t properly support trellises and stakes.
For example, plants grown in a grow bag that’s too small may experience stunted growth, drastically reducing your yield at harvest time. Or if your grow bag is too narrow, it may be prone to tipping over if the plant becomes too tall.
It’s all about doing your research to find the required size for the type of crop you’re planting. You’ll find grow bags available in sizes starting from 1 gallon to 100 gallons (they also go smaller, but those types of grow bags are best suited for houseplants).
With such a wide sizing selection to choose from, you have the option of planting one type of vegetable in one bag, or planting several varieties together in a single, larger grow bag.
Foldability and portability
Being able to easily and conveniently transport or store grow bags is one of their main advantages, so it’s important to consider whether or not the material is foldable when you’re shopping.
You may be able to stack regular plastic pots on top of each other to store them in your yard, but choosing grow bags that have a foldable design allows you to pack them all away when they’re not in use.