It may seem like a small thing, but what kind of string you use in your weed eater (also called a weed whacker or string trimmer) can have a big impact on your gardening.
Heading out to your yard to maintain it should be an enjoyable—or at least hassle-free—experience. But we all know that using the wrong products can make yard upkeep a very frustrating experience.
And if you’ve ever been trimming your weeds only for the string to break or stick inside the spool, you know what I mean.
When this happens, you have to keep stopping to reload the string, which not only makes the job more time-consuming, it can lead to a rough and uneven cut.
The right kind of trimmer string is long-lasting and not easily breakable. It should provide clean and easy cuts, be able to handle thicker weeds and grass, and be quick and easy to reload when needed.
If you’ve recently purchased a new string trimmer (or if you’re in the market for one, here’s my guide to the best cordless trimmers and weed eaters), it likely came with a spool of string to start you off. But these strings aren’t always the best for the job, so it’s worth knowing what else is out there when it comes time to replacing them or buying more.
Below, you’ll find some of the best weed-eater strings available, as well as a buyer’s guide with key features to look out for.
Disclosure: All products on this page are independently selected. If you buy from one of my links, I may earn a commission.
Best weed-eater string
Maxpower Residential Grade Trimmer Line
If you like getting your money’s worth, look no further than the Maxpower Residential Grade Trimmer Line. A massive 855-foot roll, it can reload your trimmer 42 times at only $31.76 per roll—that’s $0.76 per refill!
But don’t let the low price dissuade you. This is a great quality product, tearing through dense, heavy vegetation as well as doing an impressive job trimming grass and small weeds. It also offers great abrasion resistance and tensile strength while trimming around concrete walls, curbs, and stone.
- Holds up well on concrete: This trimmer line has an edge over others in that it can hold up well on concrete and chain-link fences.
- Long-lasting: Worry no longer about restringing after each job, as this impressive trimmer line can last up to six jobs.
- Classic round shape: This shape feeds better and can be more aerodynamic than other shapes. It also increases RPMs and cutting power.
- Bright, vibrant color is easy to see: The vibrant orange string is easier to see among the grass so you know where you’re going with it.
- Durable: This string is tough, while not being so heavy that it reduces RPMs.
- May fuse in the spool: Some customers have reported that the string starts to fuse in the spool after 30 to 40 minutes of use. This may be because the spools will get hot after about 45 minutes of continual use.
- Includes (1) 3 lb. Spool of round cut trimmer line
- Measures 855" In length & .095" in diameter
- Approximately 42 refills
- Made in the USA
Cyclone Commercial Grade Grass Trimmer Line
With a copolymer formulation, the Cyclone Commercial Grade Grass Trimmer Line is sure to accomplish any trimming task.
It is stronger and has more abrasion resistance than old-fashioned nylon string, which makes it longer lasting. The round shape gives extra durability and makes sure this string can hold its own against abrasion when edging curbs and fence lines.
The six edges along the length of the string easily and effectively cut through tall, thick grass, heavy weeds, vines, and even woody seedlings. These edges also help keep the spool cool, so there’s no need to worry about welding. The product is extremely versatile, suitable for a small garden plot or even a few acres of land.
- Feeds smoothly: This string not only feeds smoothly but also does not break inside the spool nearly as much as other strings.
- Doesn’t get as tangled: Due to its ability to feed through smoothly, the string is less likely to get tangled.
- Doesn’t litter yards: To make for an even smoother experience, this string is one of the few that won’t litter your yard with broken pieces of line.
- Not suitable for concrete: While this string is incredibly versatile for use in most yards, it’s recommended that you keep it away from concrete and chain-link fences, as these will tear up the string quickly.
- 0.095 Inch Diameter and 855 Feet Long
- Special copolymer formulation provides longer lasting commercial cutting
- Patented 6 bladed shape for added cutting power
- Choice of landscaping professionals
- Made in the U.S.A.
Oregon 22-855 Heavy-Duty Magnum Gatorline Square Line
If you’re looking for weed-eater string for big trimmers and that can handle serious work, then look no further than the Oregon 22-885 Heavy-Duty Magnum Gatorline Square Line.
It offers all the high cutting efficiency you can ask for but without the exhausting work—just cleaner, straighter cuts. This is all thanks to the square profile.
It’s also incredibly durable, with an extremely strong inner core that resists breakage, giving you more time trimming instead of winding spools.
This string is perfect for work on large properties, heavy vegetation, and underbrush, as well as cleaning up vegetable gardens. However, not every trimmer will be able to handle the large .155-inch diameter of the string so before you buy, check your trimmer’s manual.
- High cutting efficiency: This string allows you to get cleaner, straighter cuts more easily than a traditional trimmer line.
- Durable: The incredibly strong inner core resists breakage and makes for longer-lasting lines.
- Square trimmer line: The shape of this line allows you to cut through vegetation with a clean, even pass and is ideal for professionals cutting through tough vegetation and underbrush.
- Fits several string trimmer models: This weed-eater string is versatile and is suitable for use in several trimmer models, including the Remington RM1159.
- Not kind to fences: Use with caution around lightweight wood fences, as this line may chip some softwoods or remove paint from fences.
- Keep out of sunlight: UV light will weaken the plastic and reduce the longevity of the line. It’s reommended to keep any unused line away from sunlight.
- High cutting efficiency – Magnum Gatorline allows you to get cleaner, straighter cuts with less effort than traditional trimmer line
- Durable -- High-strength inner core resists breakage which means that the line lasts longer and you spend less time winding spools
- Square trimmer line -- Slices through vegetation with a clean, even pass
- .155" diameter trimmer line is ideal for professionals cutting tough vegetation and underbrush
- Fits several string trimmer models including, but not limited to: Remington RM1159
Husqvarna Titanium Force String Trimmer Lines
Made of a commercial-grade copolymer material for longer life and better performance, this trimmer string has excellent durability and longevity and is perfect for use in a steel-bladed edger. A steel-bladed edger is recommended for setting initial landscapes along curbs, borders, and walkways and is easy to maintain with a string trimmer.
This is also one of those rare string trimmer lines that hold up well against concrete and stone, thanks to its high-quality, abrasion-resistant material and round shape. The grooved string can accelerate fast and has level flight, making for quieter trimming and less fuel consumption.
For jobs that require a lot of edging, this string makes it quick and easy. Plus, the convenient line-cutting tool that comes with this string trimmer line makes it even easier.
- Long-lasting: This product has been designed with cutting-edge technology for better performance, longer use, and faster acceleration.
- High cutting efficiency: Cuts down on time spent getting rid of pesky weeds when paired with the right string trimmer.
- Low noise: The patented low-noise design of this string trimmer line reduces noise by 50%.
- Great for trimming grass: This product is best suited for trimming grass.
- May break off of spool: Some users have reported that the string can be quite brittle and breaks easily.
- Longer life, Better performance, Faster acceleration - Our design is based on cutting edge technology that delivers longer life, better performance, faster acceleration, level flight characteristics
- High cutting efficiency - Means less work possible with the right choice of materials
- Low-noise - The patented design on Husqvarna's low-noise lines reduces the noise level by 50 % which gives a better working environment
- This product is best suited for trimming grass
- Made in the USA
Arnold Maxi Edge. 095-Inch x 100 Foot Commercial Trimmer Line
The Arnold Maxi Edge trimmer line has a near-universal fit and can be used in most gas string trimmers. Not only that, it can cut up to three times more area than economy lines. (However, results will vary depending on the cutting conditions and the type of trimmer head you use.)
There’s no need to worry about constantly re-stringing either, with 100 feet of string and 5 refills included. What’s more, this trimmer line also comes with a cutting tool for more efficient use.
- Comes with a special cutting blade: Due to the strength of the string, the Arnold Maxi Edge comes with a special cutting blade that is sharp enough to cut through it. Simple blades don’t do the trick!
- Star-shaped profile: The star-shaped profile ensures an effective cut and reduces breakage.
- Affordable: At $7.31, this is a terrific budget buy.
- Brittle: Some customers have reported the string can be quite brittle.
Now that we’ve taken a look at some of the best strings on the market, here are a few important factors to consider when buying the best string for your trimmer.
I’ll take you through some key decisions to make as far as finding the right shape, material, durability, weld resistance, and line size. This last factor is crucial, and you should always take a look at your trimmer’s manual or check out the manufacturer’s website to find out what string sizes will fit your machine.
Trimmer string comes in round, multi-sided, and twisted shapes. The performance is affected by the shape in many ways.
The cleanness of the cut, the durability of the string, and the noise level are all affected by the shape of the string. Different shapes are suited for different jobs so it’s important to find a shape that will match the job you use it for.
Let’s start with a round string. It comes in all sizes and is durable, economical, and easy to reload. If you’re using your trimmer on grassy lawns with minimal weeds, then a round string is the best choice.
Since it tears through weeds rather than cuts cleanly, a round-shaped string is not recommended for particularly weedy areas. A round string is also more likely to overheat and weld together when trimming along fences and concrete walls.
Twisted string is more suitable for thick weeds, as it has a cleaner cut and is more durable around hard surfaces. It’s also quieter and less likely to vibrate than other string shapes due to its reduced air resistance. For the quietest experience, use a twisted string in an electric or cordless trimmer.
If you’re using your trimmer on yards with thick grass and heavy weeds, then a multi-sided string is the best choice. Its sharp edges cut through weeds for a cleaner look. However, if there are a lot of obstacles or objects to maneuver around, then a multi-sided string may not be the best choice as it breaks quite easily along hard surfaces.
Basic trimmer string is made of hardened monofilament nylon, and this has been the industry standard for years. However, manufacturers are developing these products and making constant improvements to increase their capability and durability. So while plain nylon line is still effective, there are stronger materials out there.
For example, reinforced composite nylon is more resistant to breakage. Meanwhile, some products include materials like aluminum that are impregnated into the nylon to make it stronger.
Some trimmer strings are made from non-nylon polymers or copolymers as they are more durable, while some are made with hardened core material to reduce breakage.
But while all these options improve the durability of light gauge nylon string, if you’re mainly using your trimmer for light grass trimming, then a simple nylon line will do the job.
The test for durability comes with consistent use among heavy weeds and hard surfaces. A more durable string lets you do more work per spool, and the durability of the string varies on what material it’s made of, the shape of the string, what’s being trimmed, and friction with surfaces like stone or concrete. But the thicker the string is, the more durable it will be.
Round string tends to be the most durable. This is because it contains more material with less surface area and has a longer wear time. Round string that is made of reinforced nylon or non-nylon polymer, or a string with hardened core material, will be more durable than basic nylon.
Welding occurs when the trimmer string gets too hot and sticks together on the spool. This happens when the trimmer is being operated at high speed while cutting along a resistant surface, such as a fence or a concrete sidewalk, for an extended period of time.
The added friction causes heat to build up, which softens the string and eventually causes it to stick together. To solve this problem, you will have to remove the spool and restring it.
Materials used to make trimmer strings are usually weld resistant, but some types of strings are more resistant than others. A shaped line is more weld-resistant than round because of the larger surface area. Round string has a smaller surface area which makes it overheat at a quicker rate.
Another good indicator of durability is line diameter. Thicker lines last longer but also cost more. When deciding on the right line thickness for you, make sure to take cost, how often you want to reload, and your yard conditions into account. As previously mentioned, not all sizes fit all trimmers, so make sure to consult your trimmer’s manual before purchasing string for your trimmer.
For small to medium yards with few weeds, a light-duty weed-eater string with a diameter of .065 to .085 inch is suitable.
Meanwhile, a medium-duty trimmer string of .085 to .110 inch is recommended for larger yards with thick grass and more weeds.
For even larger properties that have heavy weeds, woody plants, and lots of fence lines and hard surfaces to trim along, a heavy-duty string greater than .110 inch in diameter is recommended.