Hey, new friend. I’m Linda Ly, the creator of Garden Betty. That’s my big ol’ mug you see up top. (And no, I don’t usually do my hair to go out in the garden. Nor do my clothes stay that clean.)
This page is for you if:
- You don’t mind getting a little dirt under your nails.
- You think it’s a shame to let good food go to waste.
- You’re obsessed with the free (and cute, and hilarious) entertainment that are backyard chickens. Or…
- Nature is your happy place and you love to explore and find out what’s around the next bend.
So, welcome. I think we have lots in common. 🤗
I’m a plant lover, passionate road-tripper, and cookbook author whose expert advice and bestselling books have been featured in TIME, Outside, HGTV, and Food & Wine.
My joy is in learning and sharing what I know with people just like us. People who love to be a part of everything in nature, who value old-timey skills like tending vegetable gardens and stocking the pantry with home-canned goods.
I do all these things not because I’m trying to make a statement or prep for disaster (but hey, those are good reasons too). I do them because I believe they’re essential life skills that everyone should learn, and it’s so damn rewarding to know you can take care of yourself while taking care of the earth, too.
On my blog, I strive to achieve three simple goals: to help you get outside more often, experience the hard-to-explain-unless-you’ve-been-there thrill of self-sufficiency, and immerse in all the wild things that life has to offer.
Think of me as your friend and guide to a life well-lived outdoors.
As I like to say… There are no black thumbs, only green thumbs in training.
If you arrived at my blog from a random link, this is your roadmap for getting around more easily.
You can keep exploring by clicking on the “hamburger” menu in the top left corner of your screen. The search bar in the top right corner is also a good way to dig a little deeper into my content archive.
Navigate to a topic that interests you and you’ll find a full list of everything I’ve written on it. Not finding what you need? I’m always open to suggestions on other topics I can research and write about!
Meanwhile, these are my most popular posts that I think you’ll enjoy as a jumping off point.
Garden of Eatin’
- Grow Bigger and Better Tomatoes This Summer!
- The Trick of Knowing When to Harvest Garlic
- How Much to Plant in a Vegetable Garden to Feed a Family
- Easy Peasy Homemade Tomato Sauce (No Peeling Required)
- Quick and Easy Kimchi (Even If You Don’t Live Near an Asian Market)
- Fresh Homemade Pasta (Using What You Already Have in the Kitchen)
- Garden Betty’s Homemade Whole Grain Chicken Feed
- How to Get Those Delightful Dark Orange Yolks From Your Backyard Chickens
- Stages of Seasonal Feather Loss and Feather Growth
House & Home
- And Just Like That, We Are Officially Landowners
- How We Found Land to Build On — and How You Can, Too
- I Stayed in an Earthship: Eco Living in the High Desert
- The Heaven That Is Havasupai Falls
- Epic Yosemite: Climbing the Half Dome Cables
- Backpacking Through Little Lakes Valley
- Adventures in Pregnancy (Or, How I Balance an Active Life With a Growing Bump)
- I Planted My Placenta
- Adventures in Parenthood: Camping With a Newborn Baby
- Behind the Scenes of The Backyard Fire Cookbook
- The Surprise That Was The New Camp Cookbook Cover
- The Value of a Self Imposed Writing Retreat
You can also browse my Shop for all the things I love and recommend. (I update it all the time!)
And if you have any questions or stories to share, I’m just an email away.
Thank you for being here.
I know there are thousands of other sites you could be visiting, and I’m glad you picked this one. Come again soon, will ya?!
If you’d like to keep in touch and find out when I update the blog with new content, make sure you sign up for my newsletter — I save all the good stuff for my subscribers!